Washington follows the standard fault-based system. If you suffered injuries and eventual losses due to the negligent driving of someone in an accident in Bellevue, you could recover a settlement. In the real world, filing an injury claim after an accident requires considerable deliberation. Regardless of the circumstances, you may benefit from consulting a Bellevue personal injury attorney. Below is an overview of the crucial steps and why you need a lawyer.
- Don’t leave the scene. You may assume that the mishap is not serious, but do not leave the scene even then. If someone is injured (or when you need immediate medical care), call 911 and remain at the scene. Inform the police and move your car to a safer place, provided there are no other hazards.
- Don’t forget to keep records. If you are capable of moving, use your phone and gather as much info as possible. From images of your injuries to other things like crashed vehicles and road conditions, take pictures of everything, and ensure you have a record file.
- Keep up with medical care. Once you are done informing the insurance company, take your time to recover. Unless you follow the treatment plan as suggested by your doctor, you may have difficulty proving that you did everything to minimize the losses. Get a file that includes all your details, including bills paid for medical care.
- Check with an injury lawyer immediately. You need to act soon after the accident, or it could be hard to gather evidence. Get an injury lawyer specializing in auto accident claims to evaluate your case. Whether the attorney takes up your case, they can at least offer a brief review, and you don’t have to pay for the consultation for the first time.
- Don’t accept the insurance offer. Insurance adjusters are not only smart but do everything possible to minimize the losses for the company. You are dealing with losses, and the first insurance offer may seem like a good deal. However, the best bet is to let your attorney deal with the discussion for the final compensation. They can negotiate carefully and will not settle your claim unless it is a fair deal.
Car accidents in Bellevue often cause fatalities and unforeseen situations. Get legal representation immediately so that you can work on your claim and take appropriate action to secure your interests. Your lawyer will remain your biggest advocate.